Fire at the Grammar School! (1880)

April

Copyright of EJ. transcribed by Tess Taylor

Fire at the Grammar School

A very narrow escape from a serious conflagration occured on Saturday last about midday. The fire originated from a towel placed in the linen room, situationover the schoolroom – horses and lines full of linen being aired for the use of the pupils, as also the headmaster’s family. It is supposed that one of the horses must have been placed too near to the pipe of the stove, setting in flame the contents. Mr.John Horne, seedman was the first to notice it. Standing at his door he observed smoke coming out of the ventilator over one of the school windows, and a very strong light in the window of the linen room. He at once informed the headmaster (Rev.J.Foster)  who with several of the scholars rushed up to the room, and a plentiful supply of water being supplied to them by Mr.Horne, the fire was happily got under by the skilful manner in which the above named persons went to work, without the necessity of using the fire engine. The value of the articles consumed amounted to about £20, which was covered by insurance in the Alliance Office.

This page was added on 05/03/2015.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share this
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Pin on PinterestEmail this to someone