The late Mr. Sylvester, of Campden, made a presentation of the bell-turret and bell, when the school was restored in 1863. It was the custom formerly for the sexton to ring the sixth bell at the church twice a day for the school to commence in the morning at 8.30 and in the afternoon at 2 o’clock, the boys paying two-pence each every quarter; but from October 1833 to about the time of the restoration a sum of five shillings a quarter was fixed to be paid, and was collected in the school and taken by one of the scholars to the sexton.
The School Bell
From 'A Short Account of Chipping Campden Grammar School,' by John Horne, published in 1879
John Horne, transcribed from a school magazine by Tess Taylor.
This page was added on 19/08/2015.